Celebrate 10 years of Xbox’s biggest racing series.
If there’s one thing Forza fans can agree on, it’s the series’ deep level of vehicle customization. To celebrate 10 years of Forza Motorsport, we’re partnering with Turn 10 Studios to kick off a Forza Motorsport Livery Contest. Not only will the winning design be brought into Forza Motorsport 6 to be seen by all, but it will also be painted onto a 2017 Ford Focus RS to be present as a spectacle at Gamescom later this year!
According to Turn 10 Studios Community Manager Brian Ekberg, “Forza is driven by people.” Referring to the myriad tools players have at their fingertips, “…It’s how Forza fans use the tools that we build that has made the series so special.” Brian and Turn 10 are “consistently amazed” by the things the Forza community creates, so this is your time to shine. “Forza is powered by the people and we’re eager to see what you will bring to the party.”
So what do you need to do? Get creative! Sketch an original design that represents what a decade of Forza Motorsport means to you, login to Forza Horizon 2, and put your masterpiece onto a 2013 Ford Focus ST. You are free to use the built-in, pre-made Forza and Xbox logos, but any other copyrighted material is forbidden. Sorry folks, that means no characters or imagery from other games, movies, or comics. All designs must be completely original. Tag your entry “IGNForza2015” in the description field, and don’t forget to take a screenshot of your creation. All submissions must be in by Monday, July 27th, 2015. For in-depth instructions on creating, saving, and submitting your creation, look below.
Creating a Design
To create a custom livery design for a car in “Forza Horizon 2,” you first need to be in a Hub. You can find these Hubs across the “Forza Horizon 2” map, and you can either drive to them or Fast Travel to them.
Once at a Hub, press the “View” (Select) button to enter the Hub.
- Choose the “Garage” menu item.
- Select the “Designs and Paints” menu.
- Choose the car you wish to design (the 2013 Ford Focus ST) by going to the “Car Select” menu. If you are already in the car you wish to design, you can begin painting right away. To change the overall color of your car, select the “Paint Car” menu item. You can choose to pain individual parts like the hood or mirrors, or paint the entire body.
- To apply livery designs, go to “Apply Decals.”
- From here, you can choose which section of the car you wish to design upon by using the RB/LB buttons.
- You can now apply different preset shapes, premade manufacturer decals, or select from Layer Groups you have already created.
- Individual vinyls can be moved, resized, and colored in a variety of different ways so be sure and experiment. There are numerous pages of preset vinyl shapes, including gradient shapes, primitives, as well as a host of different number and letter fonts to choose from.
Saving a Design
Once your design is final, it’s time to save it and upload it for entry into the contest. Here’s how:
- After you have completed your design, you can save it by pressing the View (Select) button.
- Press A to choose a new save slot.
- Give the save file a name of your choosing and press the Menu (Start) button.
- You can choose to give your design optional Keywords.
- IMPORTANT: You must use the following tag in the Description field: IGNForza2015 (Note that this must be one word). Entries that do not have this Description will not be searchable and will therefore be disqualified.
- Go to “Share” and press the A button.
- Be sure to also take a screenshot of your design to be shared with IGN
So what are you waiting for? Get those creative juices flowing, and create something that shows the world why you’ve loved Forza Motorsport for 10 years strong. Remember, this contest closes on Monday, July 27th 2015, and the winner will be announced on Friday, July 31st 2015. For official rules, click here. Good luck!
Chris Abbott is IGN’s Community Manager. He loves loves video games, vinyl, film, burritos, and caffeine. If you love those things too, you should probably follow him on Twitter.