Rescuing Super Famicom.

So I was browsing eBay and came across this sorry looking thing:

The description went something like: “Powers up, but no picture or sound”.

Now, I already have two Euro PAL SNES’s, I have no need for a Japanese version in seemingly very poor condition, especially for £12.99, but for some strange reason I felt compelled to “rescue” it. It looked like it had had a hard life and needed my help, so I decided I would save this poor thing, fix it, attempt to remove the awful “paint job” and restore it to it’s former glory. I paid the “ransom” and waited…

While I waited for it to arrive, I worried about whether whoever painted it had sanded it down first, or if I could ever get it working at all and reading horror stories about people using the PAL/NTSC AC power supplies and frying motherboards. I also purchased a gamebit screwdriver from Amazon and an RGB scart from

A week later it arrived. I plugged in my Sega Master System power supply ( ¯ _(ツ) _/¯) hooked it up to my TV and, just like the description said, powered up, but no sound or picture ๐Ÿ™

Undeterred, I opened it up and had a look inside…

First alarm bell: 3 screws missing; somebody had been here before! The first thing I noticed was that a new fuse had been soldered in, a clear sign that someone HAD used the wrong power supply at some point! The second thing I noticed was that they had tried to disable the lockout chip by lifting one of the legs on the chip itself, a modification I was going to carry out anyway seeing as all my games are PAL.

After some vigorous cart connector cleaning and carefully inspecting the whole console, I couldn’t see any other obvious problems with it, so I thought: “what the hell” and decided to attach a wire to the leg on the lockout chip and feed it some voltage, as seen in this guide:

After a little bit of tense soldering I popped in a Street Fighter II and was amazed see the spinning logo and hear the familiar twinkling title music!! IT’S ALIIIIVE!!!

Now that I knew it worked, it was time to try and get that horrible paint off ๐Ÿ˜› It didn’t want to peel/scrape off, so I decided to risk using some turpentine. After a bit of scrubbing I was overjoyed to see the words: “Nintendo SUPER FAMICOM” They hadn’t sanded it off!!! OK, so the “F” was a bit scraped, but oh well.

After an ungodly amout of scrubbing and inhaling ghastly turpentine fumes, I had removed ~99% and revealed… a hideous brown console ๐Ÿ™ well, that explains (as I had suspected all along) why it was painted! I think we all know what this means…


I bought a bottle of peroxide from a local chemist and patiently waited for a sunny day. That day was today! I smeared the worst affected parts with the peroxide stuff, left it to sunbathe for 5 hours, cleaned, reassembled and ended up with this:

Still not perfect, (I need to retouch a few areas and that paint was hiding a few nasty cracks too) but it looks a HELL of a lot nicer than it did. It looks so much happier now it has been rejuvenated and I feel proud to have helped preserve this little piece of history ๐Ÿ™‚

Sorry for the massive wall of text (holy shit, I got a bit carried away there!) just wanted to share my little story.

TL;DR: I bought a broken, badly spray-painted Super Famicom and fixed it up a bit.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *